Friday, July 18, 2008

my best berry pie recipe

I just returned from my vacation and my daughter left a bowl of fresh picked Raspberries from my bushes.

Everyone loves this recipe. I made this pie from Raspberries I picked on my way out the door for our vacation last week. I didn't even take a photo so you have to trust me this is a great pie recipe! Everyone that eats it wants more. You can use any berry, or even peaches. I mixed strawberries and Raspberries this time. I am a spinner. That means I have spinning wheels and Cashgora goats and once a lot of angora rabbits. As a spinner I like to get together with others and spin. One summer day as a big bunch of us were enjoying spinning under the maple trees the hostess brought out a pie. I loved it and this is her recipe I jotted on a tiny sticky note!

Berry or Peach Pie

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 cup sugar

2 cups boiling water

3 ozs of strawberry, or raspberry or peach jello

Combine cornstarch and sugar, stir well

Add the boiling water, bring to a boil on med.

Remove from stove and add Jello, Stir well

Chill until syrupy.

Pre-make a baked 9 inch pie shell.

(here is the recipe I learned in high school, easy and it works)

1 cup flour

1/2 teas. salt

1/3 cup shortening plus 1 Tablespoon

3 tablespoons cold water

mix flour and salt, Cut in shortening, add cold water 1 tablespoon at a time

Stir until holds into a ball

On a piece of plastic wrap pat into a flat circle Lay another piece of plastic wrap over the top. Do not let it seal on the bottom sheet of plastic. Keep lifting it up if it does

With rolling pin roll until about 3 inches larger than your pie pan. Remove top plastic and lay into pie pan dough side down. Remove bottom plastic and gently coax pastry into pan. Make a nice rolled edge. (do we need a lesson on this?)

This is a must. Lay a piece of foil shiny side toward pie and form it within the pie shell. Trim it so it doesn't cover up your rolled edge. Now fill it with dry beans or rice.

Bake at 475 degrees F. for 10-12 minutes until rolled edge is brown. I take the crust out of the oven and lift the foil and beans out and let it cook long enough to brown in the oven. By this point the crust is not going to bubble or drop to the bottom of the pan.

cool completely

Finish the pie by arranging the berries or peaches any pretty way you wish in the cooked pie shell. fill it full! Carefully pour in the syrupy jello mixture. Be sure to cover all the areas and do not over fill or you will have it slip under your crust and make it soggy.

Chill for several hours or until set and firm.

Top with whipped cream and serve cold!

No comments: