Sunday, July 13, 2008

Berry Berry where are the Berries

This is today's berry can you tell me what it is?

It was hard finding berries to show you this year. Everything is just past the flower and not yet the berry. Late because of the long winter. If you want a hiking snack don't look in the deep forest. No berries here. This is a nature trail along the Blackcomb creek.

When hiking I look for berries by the forest fragrance's. NONE this year. Just the heady smell of clover. Awe here it is.

I'm not sure why this is called Skunk cabbage. My Girl Scout troop loved to make jokes about this plant when we camped. Every time I run into this massive plant on the trail I think I have stepped back into a Jurassic era. I love the giant leaves and the odd lily like bloom and the light looks so pretty coming through the leaves.

I hope these berry blogs will help those of you new to the northwest gain some confidence to pick and eat the safe berries of the forest. The native Americans of this region lived well on the berries and seafood here in the Northwest. It is one of the great things about living here.

Maybe this will help you figure out the above berry

www.wnps.org/landscaping/plantselect.html

http://www.turtlepuddle.org/alaskan/wild/berries.html

No comments: