Monday, June 2, 2008

My Children loved music games. Yours will too!

remember you can click to make larger and print from
Also I'm having problems with keeping spacing in my blog hope it doesn't make it too hard to read the songs.
Have you done motor boat motor boat with those 4-10 year olds? My how they laugh and laugh. There is a music game for every age. We start with 5 little monkeys jumping on the bed and ring a round the rosie and London Bridges. I'll put them below. We move up to wheels on the bus, and here we go round the Mulberry bush. You need several children for motor boat and a hunting we will go. As kids get older they can enjoy the talking rhymes like Betty botter and Peter Piper Picked a Peck.
The beauty of music games is you need nothing but your memory. Good for all of us to stretch. No you can't do this in a long church meeting but I will share my hand games this week for those moments. And find yourself a handkerchief and I can teach you three great things to make in church or quiet places for child play.
London Bridge
London bridge is falling down falling down, falling down, London bridge is falling down, My fair lady O.
Chorus: 1) Take the key and lock her up......etc
2) Build it up with iron bars......etc
3) iron bars will bend and break..........etc
4) build it up with silver and gold............etc.
You can do this with just you and one other. Hold hands both of them and lift and lower them to match the song. You have the child go around you and under your bridge and when you get to "My fair lady O" drop your hands down and catch the child. Sway back and forth. To get free you can ask "do you want to pay with silver or gold? let them free once they state what they will pay with. You can have them pay with imaginary cake or marbles, or stones, etc.
Pop goes the Weasel.
My nearly one year old grand daughter Lillian love this and we can sing it all day long and she loves the POP!
All around the cob-bler's bench, the monkey chased the weasel. The monkey thought t'was all in fun.........POP! goes the weasel. A penny for a spool of thread a penny for a needle that's the way the money goes .....POP! goes the weasel.
Where is Thumbkin? ( sing to "are you sleeping")
Where is Thumbkin? Where is Thumbkin? Place your thumbs behind your back
Here I am, Here I am. (show thumbs one each phrase)
How are you today sir? How are you today sir? (have your thumb bow)
Very well I thank-you, Very well I thank-you. (bend the other thumb back)
Run away, run away.....(wiggle those thumbs away).
2. Pointer
3. Tall man
4. ring man
5. baby
6. all men
I was just remembering all the baby songs I know. If you'd like a baby song blog just let me know. My sister and I made a tape of all the songs we knew. Not sure it still works but I think I remember them all...
Five little monkeys
Five little monkeys jumping on the bed one fell off and bumped his head
mama called the Dr. The doctor said "no more monkeys jumping on the bed.
use your open hand to be the bed. Take your other and and let the fingers be the monkeys.
grab your head on both sides and swing back and forth.
Shake your finger like the Dr. saying no more monkeys jumping on the bed.
Here is the Church
Here is the church (fingers interlaced upside down, finger inside)
here is the steeple (put your two pointer fingers up into a steeple)
open the doors and see all the people (Your two thumbs are the doors, close and open them)
close the doors,
Listen to them pray (put your ear to the hand church)
Open the doors and they all run away! (open the thumbs and have the fingers run away)
So I'm out of breath now from singing all these fun game songs. There are plenty more we can add to after we learn what we don't know of these. Don't worry about your voice. Your child doesn't care, he loves that you sing to him/her. They want to be noticed in this special way. Your voice will be beautiful. Just sing!
Enjoy, little ones!

No comments: