Friday, February 13, 2009

You have to try this easy bread

I was at Mildred's home last week and she was making this easy bread, she gave me the recipe and I've now done three batches. It takes about 8 minutes to make enough dough for 4 loafs or 8 if you like, let it sit out for a couple of hours, pop into the fridge and bake the loafs as needed. You will need to warm the dough at least and hour when it comes from the fridge. The dough lasts a couple of weeks in the fridge. It's wonderful and fast. Give it a try.

Thank you Mother Earth News we can always count on great stuff!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx

One note, I know you need the salt in it for a reason but it's too salty for us so we cut it down by a third.

2nd note, I have added 1/2 cup whole wheat flour to this recipe without any change.

I've added another photo below. This was today's loaf. It only set out for an hour and went into a really hot oven on a very hot stone. I know some of you are having problems with the loafs raising but I think we will find the key to that soon. Don't worry if the dough is not raising, just cook after an hour and see what happens. Keep me posted and we will keep testing this out.

2 comments:

Diana said...

Yes this is the easiest bread to make, I was wondering what your useing to bake it on. I don't have clay baking stone,and i don't know but that would make a diference. What do you think?

Fonnell/Grammie/mom said...

I'm thinking that you can heat up the lid to a dutch oven and cook on that. Those old black dutch ovens are everywhere and all you want is some miss matched lid. Get it good and hot and don't make your bread bigger than the lid.

I'm sure it will work. Yes the stone and water in the oven makes all the difference in the chew of the bread!