Saturday, February 28, 2009

Time for an old favorite.....Lemon bars

I had a spare lemon. I don't buy them often which is hard on a girl who grew up with a lemon tree outside her bedroom. I just can't pay the price they demand, so I was not going to let this one go un-used. I brought out an old favorite and maybe you have it and have forgotten it but this recipe will bring a smiles of sunshine into your kitchen.
My recipe can barely be read but I got it from the Swains in 1970 so it desires it's faded ways!
Lemon Lovelies
1 cup sifter flour (yes sift!)
1/2 cup butter a little bit soft
1/4 cup powdered sugar
Blend together well (you can use your fingers!)
Press into the bottom of a 8 or 9" square pan
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until just golden brown.
While the above is baking mix together:
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons lemon juice
all the grated lemon rind you can get from 1 lemon
2 eggs slightly beaten
Pour this mixture over the finished baked crust and RETURN to the oven
Bake 25 minutes or until nice and golden brown and dull looking
Sprinkle with powdered sugar while warm
Cool before cutting into bars.

No comments: