Sunday, March 2, 2008

Bag me a Rainbow

The first time I did this project I almost didn't give it to the kids it was so fun for me! I don't think it matters what age you are this is a great thing to do when you are Bord. Please use a freezer bag and not just a storage bag. One is a lot heavier!
Now here's the recipe:
3/4 Cup water
1 package unflavored gelatin
3 custard cups or bowls
red, yellow and blue food coloring
*In a small saucepan stir together water and gelatin. Let stand for 5 min. to soften the gelatin
*Cook and stir over low heat about 3 minutes or till gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat.
*Divide the mixture evenly among 3 custard cups (about 1/4 cup each) Add 3 to 5 drops red food coloring to one bowl. Stir to mix
*Repeat with remaining gelatin with yellow and blue food coloring
*Chill in the refrigerator 5 minutes or till partially set. Stirring mixture during chilling.
*Open 1 quart heavy duty (freezer) plastic bag. Use a spoon to put all three colors of the rainbow Goop inside the plastic bag. This can be in lines as in the photos.
*Close the bag making sure to push out the air as much as possible, and be sure it is tight.
*Seal the top with making tape.
Now, squeeze the bag to mix the colors into a beautiful rainbow. Following this bog is one for learning to make other colors from these three, great color lesson for older kids.
Enjoy,
It's a new week and we need things to do!

1 comment:

~L said...

I rememeber this! Isn't it in one of those white books that has science experiments and crafts and stuff with a cartoony dinosaur on the front? I would do it but I dont' have plain gelatin or food coloring. I'll have to rememeber it though.